Just a quick status report:
1. There will be little to no posting over the holiday weekend, as I’ll be away from my consoles and PC and there’s only so much I can say about Chip Chain, other than that I’d love it if they patched in an “Undo” button.
2. Has that mega-patch for Assassin’s Creed 3 landed yet? I thought it hit yesterday, but I didn’t get an update prompt when I fired it up last night. That game is really starting to try my patience. If there was only a way where I could turn off the meta-challenges, that might make it easier to deal with in the moment-to-moment gameplay. But every single major historical event that I’ve run into has been downright farcical in its execution; this does not bode particularly well for the rest of the game.
3. Downloaded the new Borderlands 2 DLC last night, also, but couldn’t seem to find how to start it.
4. Downloaded the new Marvel Civil War table for Pinball FX2 this morning; my wife is a huge Marvel fan and an even bigger Civil War fan, and so this was a no-brainer. It’s kind of a bland table, at least when compared to the Avengers table, but still: it’s incredible how well they’ve supported that title. When all is said and done, that might be my most-played game of this console generation.
5. I sent Halo 4 and CODBLOPS2 back to Gamefly today. I suppose I feel bad for not giving them more of a shot, but I just don’t think I’d ever see myself really digging in and getting into them; I just don’t have that kind of time anymore. But I also feel obligated to at least try Hitman Absolution and Lego LOTR, too, as those are next in my queue.
6. Speaking of not giving things a fair shot, I don’t see myself getting a WiiU any time soon, if ever. If I were to suddenly get a job as a games critic (anyone?), I suppose I’d get a system and check it out, if only to fulfill my professional obligations. But I’m not a games critic, and I have a baby on the way, and the WiiU seems like a waste of money right now. (I’m not the most objective person when it comes to Nintendo, though.)
7. Since the year is more or less over as far as compelling new releases go (Far Cry 3 notwithstanding), today I started doing the preliminary work on my GOTY post. I used to have a bunch of zany categories in previous GOTY posts, but the first thing I noticed as I looked over everything I’ve played is that this was a pretty un-zany year. No real risks, apart from some pretty amazing arcade stuff that surfaced on PSN in the 2nd half of the year, some of which I’ve yet to play (i.e., Tokyo Jungle and Unfinished Swan). I’m not sure this was a bad year, but it certainly wasn’t great.
Here’s hoping you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.